How To Cut Aloe Vera Leaves
This time I will explain you step by step how to trim an aloe plant in a way that the plant is not harmed at all, and that you cut leaves from an adult plant where you can enjoy all the properties of the rich aloe vera leaves.
The first thing you should do is ensure that the aloe vera plant is an adult plant. To help you in this task, you should know that an adult aloe vera will measure around sixteen inches in height.
If your aloe vera plant is smaller, it is most likely that it is not yet the right age for it to start taking advantage of its leaves or pencas. But that is not a problem, because an aloe vera adult specimen has an economic cost of around 13 dollars (if you go to a nursery specialized in cactus, it is very likely that you will find it for the same prices or a bit cheaper in my opinion).
Once you have it, you have to select the most mature leaves , which will be the ones that are in the most external part. To cut them, you should only take a sharp knife, and access the base of the blade, the one closest to the main stem. Now you just have to make a cut, from side to side.
How To Trim An Aloe Plant Step by Step
- First, ensure that your aloe vera plant is an adult plant. Otherwise it would not have yet developed all the properties that will benefit you. The leaf should be taken from the bottom of the plant and preferably not less than sixteen inches long.
- We eliminate the base and the tip of the leaf or penca. Penca is the name of these leaves.
- We eliminate the “thorns” making a longitudinal cut on each side of the leaf.
- We remove the pulp, removing the skin from both sides of the leaf.
- Once the leaf is peeled, put the pulp in cold water for about two hours. The part of the pulp that is not used, can be left in a fridge.Place the cutted leave in an opaque glass jar and keep them in the fridge.
- Or, make gel by leaving the leaf in jar outside the refrigerator placed vertically, so that the gel will be placed in the bottom of the jar through decantation by gravity. This gel is suitable for the skin but not fully edible.
Extraction Of The Content Of The Aloe Vera Leaf
Finally, you can put the remaining aloe vera leaf in an opaque glass jar and keep it in the refrigerator, or you can extract the gel. How? Very easy: put it vertically, and cut it crosswise. Thus, it will be very easy to peel one side of the sheet, which will expose the gel that you can remove with a spoon.
Likewise, you can just leave the plant rest inside the jar, and through decantation by gravity, the gel will drip below the plant where you can utilize it.
Who has not ever wondered how to cut the leaves of aloe vera to enjoy its incredible healing properties? As with everything, you have to know how to do it, and above all, do it well so as not to damage the plant.
Have you left doubts regarding how to trim an aloe plant? Get in touch with us through the blog or social networks.