Hibiscus are shrubs that many people love despite the fact that their flowers open and close on the same day. And is that, being large and bright colors, having the patio or the garden well decorated with them is very simple. But if we also talk about the Hibiscus arnottianus , a kind of easy maintenance, we will certainly enjoy the stay where we place it.
So if you want to know more about this interesting and little known species, do not stop reading!
Origin and characteristics
Our protagonist is a perennial plant native to Hawaii whose scientific name is Hibiscus arnottianus and common hibiscus Arnott. It can grow as a tree up to 10 meters, or as a shrub or small tree with one or multiple stems of 4 to 6 meters . The largest specimens have a crown diameter of up to 6m. The leaves are coriaceous, dark green, simple with an oval shape, and measure 10-15cm. The margin can be smooth or finely toothed.
The flowers are white, solitary, measure up to 10cm and are fragrant. It flowers throughout the year except in winter.
Ee recommend providing the following care:
- Location : it has to be placed in full sun, but it can also live well in semi-shade as long as it receives more light than shade.
- Watering : frequent. Water 3-4 times a week in summer and slightly less the rest of the year.
- Subscriber : in spring and summer it must be paid with organic fertilizers in powder form if it is on the ground, or liquid if it is in the garden.
- Planting or transplanting time : in spring.
- Multiplication : by semi-hardwood cuttings at the end of winter.
- Rustiness : it is sensitive to cold. It can only be grown outdoors all year round if the temperature does not drop below -2ºC.
What do you think of the Hibiscus arnottianus ?