May , called by the Romans ‘maius ‘, is the fifth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar, it has 31 days and it is par excellence the month of flowers , being spring in the northern hemisphere.
It is a very active month if we want to keep our indoor , terrace , lawn , orchard and garden plants attractive and in perfect condition . Some of the tasks that we propose in this garden calendar in May are:
Calendar of indoor plants in May:
- It is the ideal time for planting hydrangeas , Fuchsia hybrida and azaleas. Also for the transplant of all those decorative plants for their leaves such as, for example, the species Dieffenbachia camila ., Ficus sp ., Aglaonema, etc.
- We will increase as the temperatures increase the frequency of the irrigation.
- We must check very well the plants and the young shoots for the control of the insects.
- If we do preventive treatments for the control of possible pests, we will avoid many later problems.
- We will continue to pay with liquid fertilizers or controlled release for six months.
Lawn calendar in May:
- We must mow our lawn regularly , but with a higher cut.
- We will watch the irrigation, trying not to water at midday hours or even at nightfall so that these caespitose plants do not spend many wet hours.
- We must treat it with a fungicide if fungal symptoms appear. It is very important to identify the fungus to choose the most appropriate fungicide.
Garden calendar in May:
- It is time to pay with solid fertilizers. Plants vegetate very quickly and need a high availability of nutrients.
- We will prune the climbers and the trees when they finish to bloom. We will take advantage of this to better control the climbing plants .
- Let’s not forget to continue paying for the roses.
- Also, do not forget phytosanitary treatments with insecticides, acaricides and fungicides in a preventive way, if possible. If not, once the problem is detected, we will choose the most suitable product and apply it, preferably early in the day.
- We continue to monitor the irrigation, especially in those hottest and driest days.
Orchard calendar in May:
- It is an ideal time to plant, plant and transplant all summer vegetables.
- It is very important to control the risks, especially after the siempras or plantations.
- It is also necessary to control pests ( aphids , caterpillars, snails and slugs) with specific insecticides, respecting the safety deadlines and not exceeding the doses recommended by the manufacturer.
- It is the time to plant beans , carrots and thistle.
- We will fertilize our vegetables with a balanced fertilizer since the plants are in a very active vegetative period.
- We must prune damaged branches and clear fruits if there is too much of them.
- We will eliminate weeds so that they do not compete for moisture and nutrients with our hostalizas.
- It’s time to harvest asparagus, onions, leeks, spinach and lettuce.
Calendar of the terraces in May:
- It is still a good time to plant chrysanthemums, Calendula officinalis , petunias, tagetesand other seasonal plants.
- We will add fertilizer every two weeks, either with the irrigation in liquid form or controlled release directly in the pot.
- Monitor the irrigation daily. The volume of substrate is very small and can cause dehydration in our plants.
- Do not forget to monitor and preventively treat our plants to prevent diseases and pests (aphids, slugs, caterpillars, …) that develop with the increase in temperature.